How to Take Care of Your Live Christmas Tree
1. After arriving home with your tree, cut ½ to 1 inch off the trunk. This removes the sap seal which would prevent your tree from drinking water. This only applies if you can’t get your tree in water in a reasonably amount of time after leaving the farm.
2. Put your tree in a LARGE container of water. A 6 foot tree may drink up to a gallon of water a day; an 8 foot tree up to 2 gallons a day, for the first 2 to 3 days. We have tree stands available at the farm with large reservoirs. If the water level drops below the trunk, the sap will form a seal and the tree will no longer drink. A new cut will be necessary.
3. Check the water level a few hours after putting your tree in water to be sure it is drinking. If it isn’t, repeat step one.
4. Until you are ready to bring your tree into your home, keep it in a shady spot that is protected from the wind.
5. KEEP YOUR TREE WATERED!
6. In your house, place your tree as far away from heat as possible.
7. Carefully check electric light cords and connections for hazards. NEVER use lighted candles on the tree.
AS LONG AS YOUR TREE IS DRINKING WATER, IT WILL BE SOFT, FRAGRANT, FIRE RESISTANT, AND FRESH!
HUGHES CHRISTMAS TREE FARM
WISHES YOU A WARM AND WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS